Sunday, July 23, 2017

Week 4

Hi everyone,
This week I prepared field samples which will be used to evaluate the dual magnetometer technology integrated in the Q230. What makes field samples so great is that they are hydraulic fluids from machines that have wear contaminants in them. Ferrograms have already been taken from the field samples that I will be testing and will be used to see if the magnetometer technology is able to detect ferrous particles properly. What makes the magnetometer technology unique to other ferrograph tests is that it can give ferrous particle counts and concentration in a faster amount of time. The procedure I used to prepare the field samples is presented below (this procedure was also used for the S-1000 reference samples and test dust concentrate samples). :
  1. Agitate the sample in paint shaker for 10 to 20 minutes.
  2. Weigh desired amount of original sample into 250mL test bottle.
  3. Fill test bottle with MIL-PRF-5606 aerospace hydraulic fluid.
  4. Shake test bottle in shaker for 5 minutes.
  5. Sonicate for 30-45 seconds.
  6. Degas until air bubbles exit fluid.
  7. Run test samples through Q230 multiple times.


Unfortunately I was unable to finish the total 38 field samples that are to be tested because I ran out of the 5606 hydraulic fluid which is the solvent I use to prepare my test samples because 5606 is a very clean hydraulic fluid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...