Sunday, July 23, 2017

Week 3

Hi everyone,

This week I conducted my first presentation for my project. Overall I believe I did decent, but I found myself confused on what to say and if what I was saying was properly spoken with the right terminology. The feedback I received from the advisors and the other REU students was very helpful and will be used in my next practice presentation. This week I also prepared another set of reference samples. The first sample was filled with 33.29mg of S-1000 iron test dust and 200mL of MIL-PRF-5606 hydraulic oil (sample will be called S-1000 concentrate). Next, different amounts of S-1000 concentrate was weighed into another set 250mL bottles filled with 200mL of 5606 fluid (will be called reference samples). These reference samples were then tested using the Q230 and the results were exported to excel. I forgot to mention last week that the amount of concentrate in the reference bottles were converted from grams to mg/L in excel to give us the amount of test dust in each reference sample. Then the mg/L concentration was graphed with the amount of particles >4 microns, where the X-axis was test dust concentration in mg/L and the Y-axis was particles >4 microns in particles/mL. Then a trend line was created from the given points to give the amount of correlation between all of the points on the graph. This same process was done with the reference samples filled with S-1000 concentrate. This graph has on X-axis the S-1000 test dust concentration in mg/L, and the Y-axis having the total ferrous particle concentration in ppm (mg/L). The reference samples filled with test dust concentrate have a 99.81% correlation while the reference samples with S-1000 test dust concentration have an 80.72% concentration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...