Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Final Post

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to wrap up my summer with an overview of what I did. I spent the last ten weeks working on a test platform for a partial stroke piston pressurization pump motor. To do this, I had to design a suitable hydraulic circuit and then implement the details of it ranging from machining mounting plates and selecting hosing to building and calibrating electronic measurement systems. Ultimately, we ran out of time before testing the pump. We did manage to get as far as starting up the supply pump motor and testing all the sensors but the speed encoder. I believe other undergraduates from UMN should be able to finish the project throughout the school year. and then use the test stand to determine the efficiency of the PSPP pump/motor.

Throughout my REU experience, I had the opportunity to pick up several new skills. I learned hands on engineering skills such as how to machine metal and how to build and troubleshoot electronics. I also developed problem solving skills as the challenges I faced in this project were relatively open ended.

To an incoming REU student, I would emphasize the need to develop persistence. Being a good researcher requires intelligence, problem solving, and communication skills, but more than anything successful research requires a willingness to keep going in the face of adversity.

I wish everyone the best of luck in the coming years and I hope we all get to keep accomplishing cool things.

Best regards, 

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...