Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Final Blog: Summary of My REU Experience

Hello everyone!

We are finally approaching the end of our REU program. Iowa State University was great and Dr. Brian Steward was even better - very open and understanding to my questions (which I had a ton of).

My project was interesting. I was building a test stand that would be used in Iowa State fluid power courses to teach students about cylinder cushions. It was a lot of designing and brainstorming for the best ideas. The overall objective for this project was to have everything running, and we met this goal! The test stand was finalized with sensors and electric circuits, we are able to collect data, and the hydraulic circuit was completed. The next steps would be to have everything more permanent. For now, the test stand was built in a way to have everything work for the time being. We have to clean up the electric circuit box, secure the senors in a more permanent setting, and more.

The ultimate goal of this test stand is to better the computer simulation that we have here. The simulation runs but we are trying to validate this model with physical testing. With more data and maybe better equipment to gather more accurate and precise data, the model will keep improving. An improved computer simulation will allow for a new design process, rather than having to test cylinders through trial and error which costs valuable time and money.

All new REUs should expect the best out of their experiences. While it may be intimidating at first, the experience is well worth it. I have yet to take a Fluid Mechanics course at my home university so I was very scared that I would not know enough of... well, anything! But I have learnt so much during this REU, and I am going back to school with a confidence that I did not expect to leave with.

I hope everyone enjoyed their time as much as I did, but I am very ready to go home.

- Seong


Here is my poster that I will be presenting to faculty and other REU students at Iowa State University!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...