Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Week 2

It is interesting how differently my perspective has changed with regards to fluid powered systems. For example, now that I am working with them I tend to be able to distinguish whether something is utilizing fluid power or not. Across from my lab building there is construction going on, if their machines didn't consist of fluid power systems those buildings would never be constructed. Those thousand pound beams wouldn't be able to get carried from the ground all the way to the top floor with precision, without hydraulic systems. One of the lathe machines I use to shape a metal shaft to the appropriate dimensions needed for my project utilizes a pneumatic system to measure rotating speed. I've used this machine before and I didn't realize until now. If would've never been exposed to fluid power systems I doubt I would have even been able to point that out. It is amazing how precise hydraulic systems can be, in the project I'm working on the hydraulic powered ankle-foot orthosis needs to be able to accurately imitate the walking patterns of a human. An Arduino controls system was used to make sure the walking patterns can be replicated. Initial and final positions are very important in terms of angle displacements on the ankle. Since the oil used in the systems has a high bulk modulus it causes an almost 1:1 ratio response. I find this incredible because in applications where accuracy plays a huge factor it is important to have a system that can react with the accuracy needed. 


p.s. Continue working hard people! And remember, work hard but play harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...