Friday, June 30, 2017

Research Environment at UMN

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd comment on my experience at the University of Minnesota so far.

Throughout this summer, I have worked on a testing platform for a novel variable displacement pump/motor. I work alone, and I don't share a lab with other graduate students or other undergraduates. In some respects, this is positive in that I have a great deal of independence; I have the ability to determine my own working schedule and I have had opportunities to practice problem solving through tinkering and independent study. However, this independence comes with some disadvantages as it can be difficult to stay motivated and on task with no one around to boost morale, and the work can become monotonous.

Compared to my previous experiences in a large state school, UMN seems somewhat empty during the summer and as a result I haven't had an opportunity to get a real sense of the research culture here. I can say that it has been a pleasure to work with my faculty advisors as they are very upbeat, excited about their work, and eager to help wherever they can.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summers,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...