Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Final Post

Hi everyone,

This summer was an amazing experience and I learned a lot about fluid power. A quick overview of my project is that I am trying to evaluate a new technology that counts ferrous particles >25 microns and its iron concentration in ppm. These results are quantitative while other ferrous analytical techniques are qualitative. To evaluate this new technology, I created sets of reference samples containing carbonyl iron and ISO medium test dust and tested them on Q230. I also tested field samples which are known to contain high concentrations of ferrous particles on Q230 and Ferrocheck 2000. I also created ferrograms to relate the results of the Q230. I also related the results of field samples from Ferrocheck to the field sample results from Q230. I found that the Q230 and Ferrocheck 2000 reported similar values for the mean iron concentration in field samples. The Q230 magnetometer system was able to distinguish large and small ferrous particles. The Q230 magnetometer system yielded a linear response with carbonyl iron reference samples and the results are largely qualitative due to variability in the magnetic susceptibility of ferrous alloys. My research project will be continued throughout the year and I will be collaborating with the graduate students at MSOE to complete it.
I wanted to give a thanks to everyone I have met in this program because everyone was amazing and I enjoyed meeting you all. I also want to thank Alyssa Burger for her help in travel and arrangement of this REU program. I would also like to thank my advisor for all his help and encouragement.
To any new upcoming REU participants, this research experience is great and you will learn a lot of useful skill that will be needed for your career. I learned a lot of technical writing skills that I used when writing my research paper. I also gained hands on experience with industry and what techniques is required for research. When I first came into this research I did not know much about fluid power, but after this summer I have learned to love it and will be continuing research in fluid power at my university. The opportunities provided is great and I recommend it for anyone interested in research.
The poster presentation below is what I presented at MSOE and I will be using it to present to Prof. Martini at University of California Merced.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...