Friday, August 25, 2017

Final Post

Hey everyone,

My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was working on a hydrostatic transmission for a 100 kW wind turbine. Since the overall arching project is quite a big one; the assigned project I had was to design and integrate the sensors on the power regenerative wind turbine test platform to a data acquisition system. The process was fun since I got to learn how to create a PCB by myself which allowed for a lot of creativity on the design of the circuit. It definitely was harder than it seemed because I didn't end up finishing implementing the complete circuit. There was a lot of unseen obstacles that popped up as I was going on with my project. While I was able to put in my PCBs, it was hard to find a neat, clean set-up for all the wires coming from the sensors.

This REU taught me so much about fluid power and the industry related to the field. The two graduate students I worked with also gave me some insightful advice about the engineering field. My advice for the future REU students would be don't be afraid to speak up. Ask a lot of questions because people are willing to answer them for you. Also to come in with an open mind and willing to try new things because that's how you'll end up making the most of your summer experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Hey everyone, My project wasn't directly fluid power related, but revolved around one big fluid power project. My lab this summer was ...